08 July 2022

Surgery Update

Surgery finally happened yesterday, July 7. I'm now home from the hospital after spending one night there.

The surgery was successful. They were able to remove the tumor. I'll know more about negative margins after the pathology report comes back, but they think they got "clean" margins everywhere except one place (which was anticipated -- right against the pelvic bone). The tumor was pushing on my sciatic nerve, but had not encased it, which was good. That should take care of the sciatic nerve pain I've experienced for several years. However, the tumor was very involved with the gluteus medius muscle, so that muscle is mostly gone now. That means I may have a limp and likely won't be able to return to running (although there is a chance I might be able to). That's disappointing, but I knew it was a possibility and it is worth it if it keeps the cancer from spreading and progressing.

I have about a 14 inch incision on the outside of my upper right thigh, hip, and backside. There's a drain tube and another device integrated with the bandage that helps the incision heal. I will have to carry around a little pump device with me for the next 7 days. The drain tube comes out after two weeks.

I'm up and walking (carefully) and using a walker right now. My pain level has been moderate, so I haven't yet resorted to any narcotics and hope not to.

The hardest part for me will be taking it easy! I'm used to being on the go and staying active. Now I'm forced to go slow until all of this heals up.

Fortunately, I've taken the next two weeks off from work, and summer is a slower time of year anyway, so I do have the time and space in my schedule to focus on healing up from the surgery. 

5 comments:

  1. So wonderful to hear it was successful!! Prayers of patience and healing for you! Thank you for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A giant step forward....Each day brings healing. My hugs & prayers remain with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Jeremy. Condolences on losing your glute med--a very useful muscle, but not as useful as you being with us in the world! Sending love, light, good juju!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and continued prayers for you and your family as you navigate this unusual adventure you are on. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are continuing to heal up, rest, and take it easy, Jeremy. I hope your recovery has been steady and on track. Rooting for you, buddy! XO

    ReplyDelete