I completed round 4 of infusions this week. There's not much to add as it all went as it usually does. I'll have the usual after effects as I've described before. I'm really hoping I can get past the nadir next week without going to the hospital. Now that four rounds are done, I've got just two remaining. It makes me so happy to think that, next round when I finish my three days of infusions, I'll be able to say to myself, "Just one more round!"
I had a CT scan and saw my medical oncologist last week. The scan revealed no additional cancer, which is a great result. It also showed that the tumor I do have is about the same size. The doctor told us early on that it wasn't common for tumors like mine to shrink very much, so it wasn't unexpected. He recommended we continue with the chemotherapy treatments. Once I've completed all six, then we'll assess next steps for other possible treatment, including surgery and radiation.
During the last round of chemo my mouth got pretty sore. This is a common side effect of chemotherapy. The chemo drugs target fast dividing cells and, as it turns out, that applies to the cells in our mouths. During the first two rounds, my mouth got a little sore but it wasn't significant. With round 3, the soreness was definitely more pronounced, and made it a little hard to chew and swallow for a couple of days. When I reached out to my care team to ask for help, I discovered something informally known as "Magic Mouthwash." (I don't think the pharmacists call it that.)
Magic Mouthwash is a mixture of lidocaine, Maalox, and Benadryl. The ingredients are meant to numb the mouth and give protection before eating and/or to give pain relief after eating. My mouth soreness resolved on its own before I could get this concoction, but I now have a bottle at the ready. If the soreness gets to the point that it did last round, I'll definitely be swishing and spitting with this stuff for a day or two. I sure hope it lives up to its (informal) name, "Magic Mouthwash."
Finally, what you've all been waiting for: Yes, I still have eyebrows! They have thinned, but they are definitely still there. My hirsute ancestors' genes are robust, apparently. (It's strange. The hair on my head, except for the eyebrows, is gone. I haven't shaved my face in many weeks. The bit of hair on my hands is gone, but not my arms. Same for my feet/ankles, but not my legs.) I just may get through this with my eyebrows intact!
The nurses on 14K called it Magic Mouthwash... It helped me some, and my mouth was scaly after a pretty wild chemo.
ReplyDeleteHere's to NO new cancer and to your hirsute ancestors! Thank you so much for keeping us informed so we can have a glimpse into your journey. I wish we could all take on a share of the suffering. It's not fair that you, (and others with cancer) who takes care of yourself, spreads messages of love and compassion, guiding us to walk the spiritual path, should be burdened while others are not. Please know that my family thinks of you often. We are here if you need anything that we can give. Love, Trina, Curt, and Delaney
ReplyDeleteJeremy, I just saw your posts and please know that my family and I will be keeping you and your family in our prayers. I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to walk this difficult journey. One of Siena's coaches is going through cancer treatments right now, as well.
ReplyDeleteI just want to say how much I appreciated having you as our pastor when we lived in Tigard. I hope you know how much your community loves you.
-Cheryl Wiznerowicz
Go eyebrows go! And very interesting about the magic mouthwash. All the things you NEVER wanted to learn and never even knew were out there to learn about. Lots of love as always from us. Melody & R & F
ReplyDeleteJeremy, this is Trey Parker - Amy and I attended DUMC when you were pastoring there. Amy saw on Facebook one of your posts, and I've just read your recent blog. We are holding you and your family up in prayer for healing and comfort. We will continue to read this, and hope for the very best for all of you!
ReplyDeleteHi Jeremy This is Priscilla Lewallen from DUMC. I found out yesterday from the church secretary that you have cancer. Wayne and I are praying for you and your family at this difficult time in your life. I don't know if you remember that I was a RN so know what you are going thru. I'm a breast cancer survivor. We pray for your strength to fight hard to beat your cancer.
ReplyDelete