On day 10 of this round of chemo, which is when I would expect to be in the nadir with very low blood counts, especially white cells -- I developed a fever. This isn't necessarily a problem unless it gets too high for too long.
It got too high for too long.
After that initial fever increased and dogged me all night long, my care team told me I needed to go to the hospital. I also had an infection on my right ear, near the top where the cartilage curls over. I went to the hospital and was admitted.
I started on IV antibiotics, the doctors took care of the infection on my ear, and my fever finally started to come down and my ear began to heal.
I spent two and a half days and two nights in the hospital. My white blood cells finally rebounded. However, my hemoglobin and platelets were still low, so I had a blood transfusion and platelet transfusion.
A huge shout out to all of you who regularly give blood!!
So now it's time to both recover from this and begin to gather my strength for round 4 which starts in a little over a week.
I am so sorry you are going through this ordeal. My parents are members of your church and keep me posted. Please know that many of us down here at Westchester UMC in Los Angeles are keeping you in our prayers! Wishing you strength and healing.
ReplyDeleteAck. I am so sorry for your suffering, Jeremy! Thinking of you and many prayers for strength and healing!
ReplyDeletePeace,
Katie