A year ago today, I went in for a CT scan to try to find a reason for the persistent and problematic sciatic pain I had in my right leg for several years. There was something there -- I could feel the lump/mass in my upper right hip area. The CT itself was uneventful, but later that same day my doctor's office called and said that I needed to go to the ER immediately because the scan showed an incidental finding of acute appendicitis. I was skeptical and pretty sure I didn't have appendicitis, but I went to the ER anyway. I spent 5 hours there and, in the end, was scheduled for an appendectomy two days later as well as a biopsy of the mass in my upper gluteal area. Turns out, I was right. I didn't have appendicitis. I had a tumor in my appendix in addition to the much larger tumor in my...to put it crudely...butt.
Three days before my 50th birthday, I had the appendectomy and the biopsy. Two weeks after that, the pathology came back -- cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma.
After that, the dominos kept falling...tests, scans, doctors, procedures, chemotherapy, hospitalizations, transfusions, radiation, surgery, physical therapy.
I am so much better than I was a year ago. The cancer has been poisoned and zapped and surgically removed. I can walk without a limp. The sciatic pain is gone. I am even able to jog short distances which feels incredible. The physical therapy has been a huge help. My core is getting stronger and the muscles in my hip and pelvis are slowly healing and getting stronger, too.
In short, I am feeling the best I have in about a year, and I am incredibly grateful. I look back on it and marvel at it all. I know I could not have come through it without the help and expertise and support and encouragement of many, many people -- most of all my amazing wife, Allison.
Next round of scans and appointments is November 2. Here's hoping that the scans come back clear.
I don't know why exactly, but it felt important to mark this anniversary, because it's when my life took a turn and everything changed. Changed for the better or for the worse? I'm going with..."Yes."
No comments:
Post a Comment