| This pretty much sums up round 2 of chemo. |
By Tuesday evening, I was really feeling it. And by Wednesday, the full impact descended on me. I felt awful (most of the time) on Wednesday, Thursday, and into Friday morning. Even with the different drugs to counteract it, nausea lurked around the edges. I was exhausted and my brain was foggy. But then, as I got farther away from the last chemo infusion, I gradually started to feel like I was going to make it. By Friday evening, I was feeling much better, a trend that continued into Saturday and Sunday.
I found out that one of the chemo drugs is nicknamed "the red devil" due to it's red-orange color. When I mentioned to one of the nurses that I'd heard the nickname, she said something like, "Oh, don't call it that. Think about it like it's Kool-Aid!" But then ensued a conversation about the Jonestown massacre. So I think I'll just use the drug's real name -- doxorubicin.
The other chemo drug I'm taking can cause neurotoxicity. I'm told to let them know right away if I have hallucinations or twitching. Turns out, on Tuesday my fingers and hands began to twitch involuntarily...just every now and then. Apparently it wasn't serious enough to cause concern, but it was definitely odd.
I've discovered an unknown fondness for my eyebrows. Hair loss is the least of my worries through this whole chemotherapy treatment process. I have classic male patterned baldness. I keep what hair I have on my head shaved close. But somehow, the thought of losing my thick eyebrows...well, it makes me sad. That's going to be a strange look for me when it happens!
My friends Staci and Terry picked me up and brought me home on Monday and Tuesday and then stayed with me (see neurotoxicity, above) until Allison got home from work. I am so grateful for their kindness and help!
Today I am feeling pretty good. This week is when my blood cell count will drop quite low, so I'll experience more fatigue (and be more vulnerable to infection). I did manage to go for a very slow run/walk this morning. Like reallllly verrrry slow. But I was among the trees and alongside the river at the park, and the air was cool and fresh and damp, and my heart was pumping and my blood was flowing and my lungs were filling with air...and I was simply grateful to be alive and moving.
I am so thankful for the many cards, texts, emails, and other expressions of love and support people have sent as I make my way through these treatments. Thank you for your prayers. It is much, much appreciated!
Oh man this all seems like such an intense chemo regimen Jeremy...I don't have a lot of words for this kind of thing...I haven't been through it myself but I am praying throughout the week for you...for you to feel gods loving arms wrapped around you, for you to feel the Emmanuel, god withness deep inside like never before....this is a common verse but while praying for you it was the first one that popped into my mind, "Do not be discouraged or dismayed, for the Lord god is with you wherever you go". Joshua 1:9. Also I feel Jesus saying, this..."come to me and I will give you true rest..cast your cares on me for my yoke is easy and my burden is light..come to me and I will show you the unforced rhythms of grace, you are my dear child and I won't let you down..my light is shining so very bright through you as you face this cancer journey...my compassion will overflow through you to others as you face this and truly understand with an insiders perspective what others on a cancer journey are going through...you will be my vessel of healing for others...I will lead you beside still waters, lead you to green pastures and fill you with deep shalom, my perfect wholeness."
ReplyDeleteRun on Jeremy! You're being prayed for in Pennsylvania by someone you've never met.
ReplyDeleteI've had the Kool-Aid twice and managed to keep most of my eyebrows. Lost everything else, and oh boy didn't realize eyelashes were so important. Prayers for you.
ReplyDeleteSending you much love from North Carolina, Jeremy. Glad you were able to get outside yesterday and are feeling some better.
ReplyDeleteAunt Wilda