04 January 2022

Round 2

Round two of chemotherapy started this week. This time, it's out patient and I am very happy about that. One of the hardest things about the first round was being in the hospital for 4 1/2 days. I didn't go outside the whole time, and I love being outdoors. I started to get cabin fever at the end, spending so much time in one room.

With round two of chemo being out patient, I get to go home, sleep in my own bed, and breathe the fresh northwest air every day.

The two weeks since I last posted here have been a bit up and down. I was feeling pretty good on that Monday I wrote, but later that week it all caught up with me and I had a couple of days when I felt so fatigued I could barely think straight. On day 10 of cycle one, I had a blood test that confirmed my white cell count was super low, meaning I was very immunocompromised. By Christmas Eve, I was feeling better, but then I didn't sleep well and Christmas Day I felt just OK. By the evening of Christmas Day, I could tell I was fighting a fever, which is a little scary when immunocompromised. I talked to the on-call doctor and she was super helpful. I monitored my temperature closely and, by Sunday I was doing better. No trip to the ER required, which was a relief.

Last week, I felt a little better each day, some days more than others. By the day before round 2, last Sunday, I was feeling pretty good...maybe a lot like I did before chemo started.

And now I'm doing it all over again.

I have some anxiety about round 2 because the chemo drugs are being given over a shorter period of time which I'm afraid may exacerbate some of the side effects, like nausea.

As I type this, I'm halfway through round 2. So far, I've kept the nausea at bay. I can definitely feel the effects of the chemo. I was tired and bit weak yesterday evening, and am feeling that way today, too. It's to be expected. 

But after tomorrow, it's 2 of 6 down! 30% of the way there!

I'll post again early next week with an update.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremy, glad to read this blog and keep up to date with your journey. Praying things go as smoothly as possible.

    Much love,
    Aunt Wilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us all up to date! Always always always pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us updated Jeremy. Praying for you every day!

    ReplyDelete