20 August 2009

Meditation: "Hidden Life"

"Jesus told them another parable: 'The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was leavened." Matthew 13:33

"There's a song in every silence, seeking word and melody; there's a dawn in every darkness, bringing hope to you and me. From the past will come the future; what it holds a mystery, unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see." --Natalie Sleeth

***

Dear Friends,

On a hike in the north Georgia mountains several years ago, I have a distinct memory of stopping by a small creek. I walked about 20 or so feet from the trail to crouch at the side of this burbling, bubbling stream of water as it flowed down from the mountain above. I was alone. There was no other person anywhere near. As I knelt, smelling the damp, cool air stirred by the flow of water, I stared at the swirling water and realized that it was full of hidden life. What I mean is that, in that stream there was indeed life--plants, fish, microscopic organisms--but life that was not immediately visible to me, if at all. Had I not paused by that stream, had I blithely sauntered past on my way up to the mountain top, that life would have gone on unconcerned if I had stopped or not. But I would have missed realizing something important--that there is hidden life all around me if I would but pause and take notice and appreciate it.

I share this because I think too often I overlook the places where there is indeed life hidden around me, sometimes in unlikely places. So consumed by my "to-do" list or staying on the path I think I should be walking, I may miss an opportunity to discover life in an unexpected detour or an annoying distraction. But hidden in the detour or distraction there just may be life--and by that I mean an experience of feeling fully alive by and through the power of God. Paradoxically, even in a place marked by death there can be hidden life--hope for a better future, the sense of Divine presence stirring among the tears, broken relationships mended.

I know this is an esoteric kind of meditation this week--just happens to be my mindset at the moment. But I hope and pray that as you move through the coming days, you will find ways to be attentive to the life hidden within and around your own life. In those places, may you encounter God--the source of all life.

Blessings on you,

Jeremy

Prayer: O God, sometimes your life stirs in the quiet, hidden places of the universe. Heighten our senses so that we may see and hear and perceive the stirring of your life in and around us. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment